Skip to content


Step 3: Solutions

CAO strongly recommends that you try all the steps below to try to resolve your records issues before filing an application with the Tribunal.

Confirm the issue

You may wish to request the records to confirm what they include if you believe your corporation is not keeping adequate records.

For more information, check out our step-by-step guide to Requesting Core Records and Requesting Non-Core Records.

The Meaning of Adequacy

Records may be considered inadequate if they don’t exist, are incomplete or are inaccurate.

Contact the condo corporation

You should contact your condo corporation to discuss your concerns if you believe there is a record adequacy issue. Your condo corporation may be able to explain why a record may not exist, or why it may not contain what you think it should.

You can also use this as an opportunity to discuss how the corporation could improve how they create or provide records to unit owners going forward.

If you do not feel comfortable speaking to the condo corporation’s representatives in person, or if you’ve spoken to them already and the issue has not been resolved, you may want to send them a letter.

Use our sample letter templates:

Keep notes of your communications with your condo, including:

Who you spoke to

Date and time of interactions

Issues you informed them about

Amount of time you provided them to address the issue

Your notes or copies of communications may be important if you file an application with the Condominium Authority Tribunal.

Determine your next step

You can consider filing an application with the Condominium Authority Tribunal if you’ve tried the above and have been unable to resolve your issue.

Visit Step 4 – The Condo Authority Tribunal for more information.

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.
Did you find this page helpful?

Stay in the know with CAO!