Annual Condominium Requirements Guide
What is the Purpose of the Annual Condominium Requirements Guide?
The Condominium Authority of Ontario (CAO) has produced this guide to highlight many of the regularly occurring legal requirements under the Condominium Act, 1998 (the “Condominium Act”) for condominium corporations in a single document. This document can be used by owners to better understand their condominium board’s obligations and by directors to help them create a plan for complying with the annual legal requirements found within the guide.
This guide contains the resources and tools to allow owners and directors to create a plan at the beginning of each fiscal year that will ensure that meeting their condominium corporation’s legal requirements is a smooth, simple, and straightforward process. However, this guide was also designed so that it can be regularly read and referred to throughout the year to help answer specific questions regarding a condominium corporation’s legal requirements.
If you wish to access the Annual Condominium Requirements Guide, please click on the link below.
Can I Provide Feedback on the Annual Condominium Requirements Guide?
We are encouraging readers of the Annual Condominium Requirements Guide to provide feedback regarding areas for enhancement. Taking part in this feedback survey allows the CAO to continue to develop an Annual Condominium Requirements Guide that best meets the needs of prospective condominium buyers, condominium owners, and the condominium sector.
If you wish to provide feedback on the Annual Condominium Requirements Guide, please click on the link below or click on one of the ‘Leave us Your Feedback on the Annual Condominium Requirements Guide Here’ buttons on this page.
Who is the Annual Condominium Requirements Guide For?
The information, best practices, and tools found in this guide can be used by any condominium board but may be of particular use to those who do not use professional condominium management services.
What Does the Annual Condominium Requirements Guide Contain?
This guide covers the following areas:
- Condominium corporation legal requirements under the Condominium Act which apply broadly to condominium corporations across Ontario. For example, the requirement for a condominium corporation to hold an annual general meeting and file returns to the CAO, among others.
- The legislative framework that applies to all condominium boards and condominium corporations, which consists of the following:
- A description of each requirement;
- The legislative basis for that requirement within the Condominium Act;
- The deadline for each requirement; and
- Any additional information regarding the requirements that a condominium corporation may find helpful.
- Best practices for effectively addressing a condominium corporation’s legal requirements, including creating an annual plan which lays out the dates and deadlines of a condominium corporation’s governance and operational requirements, conducting a vendor and service review, and ensuring that condominium corporations collect owner feedback.
- Additional resources and tools that condominium corporations may find useful, including a sample Annual Condominium Legal Requirements Checklist, the CAO Public Registry, and the customized CAO Calendar App, which lists important deadlines for individual condominium corporations based on the information they provide to the CAO through filing returns and notices of change.
The CAO’s Condo Calendar App
The CAO is also proud to offer the CAO’s Condo Calendar App, an easy-to-use solution for condominium owners, condominium directors, and condominium managers who want to ensure that they never miss an important deadline relating to their condominium corporation. The CAO’s Condo Calendar App allows for easy visualization and organization of certain important dates for condominium corporations under the Condominium Act.
The CAO’s Condo Calendar App displays many need-to-know deadlines for complying with several of the requirements established by the Condominium Act, such as:
- Calling and holding an Annual General Meeting;
- Delivering Periodic Information Certificates; and
- When the directors of a condominium corporation must complete the CAO Director Training Program.
The dates provided by the CAO’s Condo Calendar App are based on information provided to the CAO by the condominium corporation through the filing of condominium returns and are calculated based on the provisions of the Legislation Act, 2006.
If you wish to access the CAO’s Condo Calendar App, please click on the link below.