The CAO’s Annual Members’ Meeting – September 24, 2021
On September 24, 2021 at 9 A.M. EST, the Condominium Authority of Ontario (CAO) hosted our Annual Members’ Meeting. The Members of the CAO consist of the Members of the Board of Directors. Owners, directors and other individuals from the condo sector, as well as the general public, were all invited to attend. This year’s meeting saw a strong turnout with over 1,300 registrants for the meeting. The meeting agenda included presentation of the CAO’s audited financial statements, confirmation of auditors and election of a new director to the board. A recording of the meeting, is available below.
Frequently Asked Questions from the CAO’s Annual Members’ Meeting – September 24, 2021
- How is the CAO funded?A: The CAO’s operations are primarily funded by the annual assessment fees paid by condominium owners and collected from condominium corporations in Ontario. These fees are determined by the number of voting units that each condominium corporation reports in their annual condominium returns.
- What are the different types of units in the condominium sector? How does the CAO support condominium communities?A: Primarily, there are two types of condominiums: freehold and leasehold. The CAO supports owners of all condominiums. The CAO’s vision is to build strong and vibrant condominium communities across Ontario with information, education and dispute resolution.
- What can a condominium owner do if they are having issues with noise on their street or from their neighbours?A: The CAO provides the information, tools, and templates on the guided steps to common issues pages to help condominium communities better understand issues and work together to resolve them collaboratively before they escalate into disputes. See here for Noise and Vibrations issues. Additionally, the CAO previously announced that it will be undertaking consultations about opportunities to expand the Condominium Authority Tribunal’s (CAT) jurisdiction. Click here to learn more about these consultations and how you can participate. On September 23, 2021, the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services also announced that the CAT’s jurisdiction will be expanding effective January 1, 2022
- What is and who has access to the Condo Buyers’ Guide?A: Ontario’s Residential Condominium Buyers’ Guide (Condo Buyers’ Guide) was developed by the Condominium Authority of Ontario (CAO) in collaboration with the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services (MGCS) and approved by the Minister as a helpful resource for the buyers of residential pre-construction/new condo units. The Guide is publicly available for all on our website.
- Could you advise if the CAO fees will continue to be discounted by 25% for the next cycle, starting in April 2022?A: Effective January 1, 2022, the CAO will return to the assessment fee level of $1 per voting unit per month. A temporary 25 percent reduction was applied to this fee in 2018/19 and 2019/20 due to delays in the ramping-up some of the CAO’s operations. This reduction was extended to 2020/21 to help alleviate the financial burden on condominium corporations during the global pandemic. This was achieved by drawing-down on the CAO’s reserve fund and operating at a deficit. For more information on assessment fees please read here.
- When does the CAO plan to improve forms?
A: Earlier this year, in keeping with the CAO’s digital service delivery model, the condominium forms were enhanced to make them easier to access and to use. The forms are now “one-click” openable and are available in two formats on our website, fillable and non-fillable. The CAO recognizes that there is more to be done to enhance the condominium forms and will be exploring technology solutions in the future.
- How can I stay updated with developments at the CAO?
A: To stay updated on what’s happening at the CAO, you can subscribe to our email list to receive important email updates from the CAO. You can subscribe by signing up here.
If you have a question or concern that has not been answered, please fill out our Contact Us form, our team is available and ready to help.